The drive to produce as many aircraft as possible resulted in heavy rail traffic. Furthermore, it was planned to construct factories in close proximity to the bunker that would produce finished parts for the aircraft and the appropriate Unterkommandos were setup in Mittergars, Thalham and Zangberg. Unterkommando was a term used to describe a small external detachment of a concentration camp.
The concentration camp Mittergars was across from the Muehldorf-Rosenheim rail track and measured 75 x 150 meters. At the beginning, this concentration camp was primarily composed of tents. Later, the 300 inmates lived in 34 small wooden barracks. A barbed wire fence and a single guard tower ensured that nobody tried to escape. Outside the camp, in the forest, were the SS barracks. The dead were buried in a mass grave near the SS barracks. After the war, they were moved to Lohen. Today, a few structural leftovers of this camp remain.
The camp Thalham was located to the rear in the county of Weilers and Obertaufkirchen. An Arbeitserziehungslager (Work education camp) was located in the region and was possibly controlled by the Gestapo. There was also a prison that housed Italian forced laborers. Behind this were the barracks of the Jewish camp.
The monastery in Zangberg had been taken over by the Muehldorf Landratsamt (district administration office) in order to convert it into a small munitions factory. The nuns had previously been moved in 1941 to a smaller building located nearby. The monastery itself was occupied by a technical staff of from Peenemuende. On a daily basis, a work detail from the Waldlager was sent to the monastery for installation and expansion work. Later, Zangberg became an Unterkommando with around 60 inmates.
← last page overview next page →